How to make an executor settle an estate?

When my husband passed 4 years ago, he left his oldest son executor of his Will. I have asked him

several times to come open an estate so I can establish permanent residence in my own home and he

still hasn’t done it. What can I do about this?

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can take legal action to force the executor to fulfill their legal duties. You can file a Petiton to Compel. In the alternative, since the executor has not demonstrated that they want to undertake and perform eithier fiduciary duties, you can ask the probate court to appiont you or another as executor instead.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and the situation.  Yes, you can file a Petition to Compel the Executor to act.  It is apparent that he is not interested in performing the duties he was appointed to do so you mught also consider the option of asking the court to appont you instead.  Thre are certain procedural nuances here that an attorney can advise you on.  Go and speak with someone about moving the matter along.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.