How to legally evict 18 year old stepdaughter who is in her senior year in high school?

She has been stealing money, stealing prescription drugs for money and cigarettes, terrorizing her younger sister and brother and treating me and her father like crap. Her father kicked her out of the house yesterday when she punched a dent in his new truck just because he said no her boyfriend can’t spend the night. She got angry at me because I asked her to only use my laptop on the table and by the end of the night she ended up calling me #$% which she has called me many times over the past 2 years and literally spat in my face. She has threatened my life on more than 1 occasion and my husband and I are ready for her to leave once and for all. She called the local CMSU and they said we can’t evict her which basically means to her “I can do anything I want and continue to treat people like crap and never get in trouble for it”. I spoke with a State Trooper and he told me this is a civil matter. What kind of document do we need to get her officially evicted so we can possibly press charges if she comes to the house and breaks things in the future?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you under the laws of all states in this country you cannot evict your 18 year daughter from your house for the simple fact that she has yet to complete her senior year of high school. Under the laws of all states in this country, a parent is responsible for his or her child up until he or she is 18 years old and completes high school.

I suggest that perhaps the best way to try and resolve the problems you are having with your child at this time is for some mediation and counseling sessions with her, you and your spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.