How to kick my husband out of my house?

My name is on the mortgage and he doesn’t make any financial contributions to anything other than his drugs, alcohol, an toys. He’s verbally/mentally abusive and has threatened my life as well as my family’s. I’ve asked him to leave but he refuses stating he doesn’t have to. I filed a police report on his threats but can’t afford an attorney to file for divorce (since I pay for everything). We don’t have children but we have pets and I am their sole caretaker. I’m at my breaking point to where I want to pack my things an move in with my dad. I hate to leave my own house and pets behind.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you no longer wish to have your spouse reside in your home and title is not in his name, then you should consult with a family law attorney and file a petition for a dissolution. Have him served and in conjunction with the petition, seek a restraining order as to your spouse asking the court to order him to vacate the premises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.