How to I recover money from property management company?

Im a owner and the property management
company refuses to give me the deposit that
was kept from the former tenant who destroyed
my carpet. She has not returned my calls
about current plumbing issue that she made
me aware of 2 weeks. She doesnt pay me the
tenants rent each month. How can I go about
getting my deposit and is she fraudulent or
doing any illegal or unethical that I could report
her to the board for?

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You sue her: that is what you do. If someone you hire (e.g. a property management company) keeps money which should be turned over to you and/or otherwise breaches their contracual obligations (e.g. terms of your agremeent with them) to you, you get the money or enforce the contract by a lawsuit. Lawsuits are *the* mechanism for enforcing contracts and getting money owed to you. If you local and own the property in your own name, you could sue in small claims court as your own attorney ("pro se") to minimize costs; othewise (such as if the property is owned by an LLC or corporation, or you live in a different state), hire a lawyer to bring the case for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.