How to I begin the process of retrieving pay for hours worked that my employer has been secretly deducting from my paycheck?

I’ve discovered that my employer has been deducting 4 hours from my time worked every week. Every other employee has 2.5 deducted for lunch 30 minutes a day for a 5 day week. I

haven’t spoken to my boss about this because I need a job and I’m afraid he’ll terminate my employment. I’ve purposely worked through lunch some days to see any correlation and have

found none even if I take 2 days off in a week I still lose 4 hours.

Asked on April 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An employer must keep accurate time records for hourly employees and pay them for all work done. The first step would be speaking--respectfully and reasonably--to your employer; this could, after all, be a bookkeeping error or glitch in the time-keeping software, etc., and the employer may correct it if you bring it to their attention.
If the employer will not voluntarily correct the situation and pay you the money you are owed, you could file a wage and hour complaint with your state department of labor. If the dept. investigates and substantiates your complaint, you could potentially collect all unpaid back wages for up to the last two (2) years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.