How to handle this Warrant

I wrecked my car almost 2 years ago but there were no other cars or people involved. I was informed by my parents to leave my car overnight and get AAA to get it in the morning. My car was towed overnight and I was issued 5 tickets through the mail and issued a court date while I was away at college. I missed the court date and was issued a warrant. I am trying to figure out the best way to handle this. If I were to turn myself in how long will I be in jail and how would this process go?

Asked on May 11, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can handle it a couple of different ways.
The easiest, but not necessarily best way, is to simply contact the clerk of the court over the phone and arrange for a plea and payment of all of the tickets.
The alternative, is to be arrested and post a bond on the new allegations.  Many tickets are cash bonds.  This means that if the bond is for $100, then you will actually have to have $100 to bond out.  The exact amount of the bond will depend on the judge that is handling your case.  You can call the clerk and find out the amount of the bond.
The second alternative is to hire a ticket attorney to walk you through the process and help you resolve the case.  Attorneys do a variety of cases... but you really want a ticket attorney who is familiar with the process, knows the prosecutors, and can you access to the best deals.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.