How to handle a civil Claim with no funds to do so?

If I have a civil claim made against me due to an accident at the amount of roughly 10,000. What is the best way to handle this? I have no means of paying it, I’ve never had that kind of money embarrassingly enough and the only offer to me was a straight 2000 reduction or 4 month payment plan of over 2000. How is this fair to the average American? I know I made a mistake but yes, seeking the best advice.

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt. When there is a court judgment against you and you know the total, that would be the time to file your Chapter 7 bankruptcy with the bankruptcy court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.