How to get out of jail on a child support matter?

An acquaintance is in jail for “INDIRECT CONTEMPT OF COURT” concerning child support payments and the court has placed an “ORDER OF TERMINATION FROM COURT LIAISON PROGRAM.” The bond amount exceeds $30,000. He states payments are deducted from his paycheck. He can’t afford to pay the full $30,000 and is considered “low-income.” What are his options – what should be his next steps to get out of jail?

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Bond amount is usually the amount he needs but if he goes through a bail bondsmen, he can probably get out of jail on 10% of the amount.  He can certainly try to hire an attorney to help him get out on his own recognizance so that he can continue to work and make payments.  If he has been arrested, that means either his payments are not being deducted from his paycheck at all, or improperly or the payments are bouncing.  If this is a child support order based on a court decision he made out of divorce or simply as a court ordered agreement with the mother, you may need to have your friend consider going back to court to amend his child support order based on his ability or lack of ability to pay and not be behind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.