How to get my name on my home

My husband died 06/02/1998 without a will. I now need to refinance the house but I
can’t because my name is not on the deed. What can I do?

Asked on June 24, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to get in touch with a probate attorney/real estate attorney.  The general statute of limitations for a probate has passed, however, you can still sign what is called an affidavit of heirship.  It's a one-two page document which is fairly inexpensive to have drafted.  A real estate attorney can also help you file a "suit to clear title"-- which basically establishes clear title.  Many probate attorneys do handle real estate law as well.... so the best thing is to find an attorney that handles both because it will be more cost effective. 
The refinance company may accept the affidavit of heirship alone, if so then you will not have to file the suit to clear title.  However, it doesn't hurt to have someone on standby who able to do both. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.