How to get condo association to fix problems that are their responsibility?

I own a condo which I rent. There are roof leaks that have now caused the walls to be wet causing mold growth. I have other issues as well. Now due to thisnot binge fixed my tenants are moving out. Furthermore, I have sold the condo (prior to this problems) and now I will have to pay for the fixes or give up the sale. I have lost of income due and a possible loss of the sale. What can I do? Can I skip paying my condo fees?

Asked on March 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No you can not withhold paying the fees BUT you can bring an action in court to force the condo association to live up to their contractual obligations and request that the court allow you to pay the condo fees in to court until such time as the issues are resolved.  Additionally, you can ask that your fees be reduced for the damages caused and the lost rent can be added in as well as the extra repairs to save the sale.  I would seek help from your attorney in all of this as it can get to be complicated.  Good luck to you.  I hope that everything works out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.