How to get an arrest off my record?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were simply arrested but not convicted of a criminal act, you have no conviction on your record and there is nothing for you to have removed. However, if you were convicted of a crime post arrest, then you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if a petition to expunge the conviction would be worth the effort.

If granted, then the conviction as a matter of law is removed from your record. You need to evaluate the costs and likelihood of success for such a petition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.