How to get a felony warrant squashed in Dallas county

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This is really hard to do, especially in Dallas County-- mainly because of logistics.  In Dallas, the judges have minimal control over their dockets.  The dockets are frequently run by the prosecutors who have set days and show up here and there.  Court cooridinators will refuse to put a case on the jury docket until a prosecutor bothers to show up and say they are ready for trial.  With that being said.... If you can have someone get a copy of the arrest warrant and affidavit, and the basis for the warrant is invalid in form or substance, then you may be able to file a writ to quash the warrant.  Your big issue, however, is going to be getting a setting before the warrant is served on you.  If you have a reason to believe the warrant is invalid, hire a criminal defense attorney that routinely practices in Dallas County to file the appropriate motions.  If you know you committed the offense, then work on reaching out to a good bondsman to walk you through the system so that you spend as little time as possible in the county jai.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.