How to get a discovery report before trial?

Asked on March 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Are you a pro se litigant in the matter?  Meaning that you do not have an attorney?  You need to comply with the discovery demand rules in your area, generally found in the laws of civil procedure.  You need to put together a formal demand with the caption (the name of the case on the top of the court papers) and the index number and label it DISCOVERY DEMAND.   You need to state something like "demand is hereby made by the defendant/plaintiff for the report prepared by whomever or whatever."  Usually a section of the law is quoted and a date is given like within 30 days from the date of the demand.  But again, that has a lot to do with your local procedure law.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.