How to find a deceased persons Will?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I assume that you have questioned the deceased's friends and other family members. If that's been of no use then if they had a safety deposit box I'd start there. If that's not successful then go through any papers that you can find in desk drawers, file cabinets, the pages of a family bible or the like. Check eveywhere. If you still don't find a Will be on the look out for a letter or business card from an attorney; you can contact them and ask if they drafted one for your grandfather (if the attorney has retired you can contact the state bar association to get their contact information).  If you can't find any information about an attorney, then try contacting other advisers that your grandfather may used; a financial planner or an accountant. You can even just start calling attorneys in town to see if they drafted a Will for your grandfather. Additionally, you could also place a "Lost Will" ad in the local paper. Further, you can check with the Probate Court in the county where he resided; it is possible that a Will was filed with there when it was executed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.