how to file taxes when home is in foreclosure

I need to file my taxes but my home is in foreclosure and haven’t heard anything from my mortgage company

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

File based on the information you have at present (remembering that you are only filing in regard to the situation in 2016, not in 2017). If you later become aware of other information that would change your taxes, you may file an amended tax return correcting your filing; there is no penalty for amending a return when you become aware of other information later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.