How to file papers for greencard based on marriage?

My husband and I just got married. We went to the immigration office yesterday to get all the paperwork we need to fill out and file for him to get his greencard but we have no clue how to fill it out. We can’t make one mistake. The lady we had the appointment with was no help at all.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you do not know what forms to fill out or how to complete them accurately, I would strongly suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney who will be able to assist you and your husband in this matter.  It is not necessary to have an attorney represent you, but certainly if you cannot afford to have any time delays and any incorrect submissions, this is what you should do.  It should not cost you too much to have an attorney assist you and certainly you can call around to see what the different legal fees are for this type of matter.  This is the type of work that I and other immigration attorneys do on a daily basis and there are many times when there are clients who come who already attempted to do it on their own and messed up.  Doing the "cleanup" is often more costly and time consuming than just having done it from the beginning the right way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.