How to file a motion for non-payment of alimony?

We divorced almost 2 years ago after a marriage of 26 years. Alimony is for $600 per month for about another 7 years. However, he stopped paying this month just because he felt like it. He has a pension and SSI and a job but wants to retire so I think that’s why he stopped. Can I do a pro-se myself?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Family Law, New York


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-husband is intentionally violating a court order.  Usually, the best thing to do, is to file a "Order to Show Cause", or it's equivalent in the court that issued the order.  You can file these documents yourself. However, I would suggest hiring an attorney and, as part of the "Order to Show Cause", request that he pays the attorney's fees.  Court's frown on people intentionally violating court orders and should award you your costs for having to bring the action.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.