How to dispute a billing charge from a wireless carrier?

I am a customer of verizon wireless and they have billed me $900 for a mistake of theirs. The service provider’s agent gave me wrong information that calling from canada would be free with a value plan. I even called the provider again to confirm this but roaming charges were posted to my account. I was told that once the billing cycle is complete, they would be able to revoke the charges but after the cycle completes, customer service refused to revoke the charges. What can I do about this?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write your Verizon provider as well as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) a letter expressing your displeasure regarding the billing issues and demand that things get rectified by a set date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and reference. If the due date comes and goes without any resolution, then make a complaint in writing about your service provider to the FCC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.