How to defend against a worthless check charge?

I had put a hold on the check that I had given to my flooring contractor because he did not come back for the work next day and did not finish the agreed upon work. Now I got a notice from the State Attorney for a worthless check. How can I defend against the charge?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Jonathan Pollard / Pollard LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have a defense-- as you just noted.  You had a contract for certain work to be performed.  When the contractor failed to finish the work as agreed, you withheld payment by stopping the check from clearing.  You can either communicate this to the State Attorney yourself or hire an attorney to do so on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.