How to deal with false accusations made on you over internet?

If someone claims on a public website (its an on-line game forum) that their family is full of cops and they ran a background check on you without you knowing and you are a registered stalker with FBI, even though none of this is true, can we take any legal action against them?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the person, who made the false statement, for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person who recognizes the defamatory content, and the statement is injurious to your reputation.

Slander is spoken defamation.   Libel is written defamation.

Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for defamation) would include mental distress, loss of friends and associates, and if applicable, medical expense and physical illness.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.