How to check if a deposition subpoena is valid, Sup Court California, LA County, Northeast Div

Received a deposition subpoena from a process server to 1) appear in person on Memorial day at an attorneys office to be deposed and 2) produce documents relating to the case.This is a Civil case of a friend of mine against a real estate agent about false statements from the realtor during the sale of a house to my friend.The Dep Subpoena does not have any stamps or marks relating to being filed with the Superior Court other than a case #.This appears to be an annoyance tactic. do I have to respond to the subpoena

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were served in hand and the document is signed by a lawyer, then i would say thart you have to be there.  I would need to actually see the document, but it appears that the notice of depo/subpoena is legit.  If you fail to show up you could be ordered by a court to attend. If you are busy that day, call the lawyer that noticed the depo and ask him/her to reschedule.  Not appearing is against the law.  Plus, if you are trying to help your friend here, then you should want to attend; right?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.