How to change the probate administrator

We sign papers for the step mom
to be the administrator of the will
now that she has this power she’s
not letting anyone know what going
on and want let any of my fathers
kids in the house only her kid from
another dad a state they have
gone through everything

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Interested parties (e.g. heirs and potential heirs) who believe that the adminstrator is violating her fiduciary duty (her law-imposed duty to act fairly and responsibly in the interests of the estate's creditors and heirs) can bring a legal action in chancery court (a part or division of county court) seeking to hold the adminstrator accountable and to replace her if necessary. Ideally, you should retain a probate attorney to help you: this sort of action is more complicated and "technical" than the typical lawsuit filed a "pro se" (acting as his/her own attorney) litigant, like a small claims court. But if determined to not use a lawyer and to be your own attorney, contact the chancery court clerk's office for instructions on how to file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.