how to change the current laws/bill?

how do you change an existing law, for example, lets say if i wanted to change the laws regarding the sentencing of prisoners and wanted the punishment to be more severe, what would i have to do to get that started, or how would i make a petition to change it?

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would contact your local congressman and discuss your concerns and find out when these sort of things are discussed and how you have an opportunity to comment as a concerned citizen.  You may also want to locate local lobbyists and victim impact groups as they are the type of people that have simialar interests.  A petition is a great idea, but before you do, you want to make sure that you are able to get that petition in the hands of people that will promote your interests.  Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.