How to change my name?

I have had the name I use all my life but my birth certificate says something other. I was in the army with this name and everything I have has this name that isn’t on my birth certificate. I need a passport but I cant get one cause my name is different from the birth certificate, even my SSN is under the name I have always used even in elementary school.

Asked on August 30, 2011 Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

All states have a statutory procedural and method to change one's current name. The process is to file a petition in the superior court of the county where you live seeking the name change with the desired name you want. The court will set a hearing date where you will be required to publish the petition in a specified newspaper for a certain period of time for so many consecutive weeks.

If no one objects to the petition, the court will make its decision as to whether or not to allow you the name change on a date and time later down the line and will issue and order giving you the desired name.

Most states have pre-printed forms that can be obtained online for the desired name change.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.