How to change my legal student status to a permanent resident status?

I have been in the states legally under an F-1 student visa for 2 years. I want to become a permanent resident but I don’t know how to successfully change. How do I know if I am eligible

or not? What is the process? Will I be able to become a citizen with a permanent resident status?

Asked on April 22, 2016 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

YOu cannot just change status.  You have to be petitioned for permanent residence, either by a qualifying familiy relative or by an employer on the basis of a valid fulltime offer of employment.  It takes time to do this so you would probably first have to obtain a temporary work visa and in parallel do the permanent residence process. Once you are a permanent resident for 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for US citizenship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.