How to become a legal US citizen?

I’m from Kuwait. I want to move and live in the US. I’m wondering what is the process of becoming a citizen. What forums I have to apply for?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Immigration Law, Oregon


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You must first become a US Resident (green card). You can obtain this via a family sponsor, lottery or an employer. Then, you can maintain your residency for 5 (or 3) years and then file for citizenship (Form N-400). You may also move to the US with an investment.

Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can either get a valid visa coming to the US, get a job, and obtain a green card through employment. Or you can marry a US citizen and get your green card through family relation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.