How to approach the victim of my hit and run and avoid going to court

I was involved in a hit and run accident. The other driver and I had a few
words and the police did eventually show up. A court case has been set and
the police wrote in the report that they thought I had been drinking even
though they did not see me in the vehicle. I would like to know what I should
offer the victim plea bargain so that the charges could be dropped.

Asked on April 25, 2016 under Criminal Law, Alabama


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attorney to communicate the offer.  If you reach out directly to the victim, the prosecution could accuse you of witness tampering.  If you have the attorney communicate the offer as a formal settlement offer, then you are protected as this will simply be viewed as routine settlement negotiations. 
As far as what to offer... many victims will be satisfied with restitution because getting their bills paid is the main concern of most victims.  Getting full restitution without having to miss work for court dates is an appealling option for many alleged victims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.