How to answer a summons

Hi,I’m received a summons and unfortunately waited until the last minute to take care of it. My husband is being sued by a credit card company in the amount of $1142.00 plus 24.4% interest until paid in full. I know only 750 of that is in actual charges which I know I should pay. I’ve tried to find out when the last charge, payment and balance was at the time i made those but they said they have no information to give me and if I wanted to send in some kind of money I could do so but that wouldn’t stop any of the legal action going on now. I’m just wondering how to answer them to avoid him from being garnished. Any help would be appreciated. Also if someone can tell me what my chances look like coming out of this.Thanks alot

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First thing to do is to answer the summons.  Then, contact the attorney who is handling the case for the credit card company.  Find out how much the company would be willing to take to settle this matter right now.  These things are often negotiable.  If it's $1142 plus interest, and you think you own $750, try offering the $750 you owe and see if you can get them to come down.  You might be able to settle it for close to what you owe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.