How do I start the eviction process for a tenant that has failed to pay their rent?

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You must be careful to follow all legal procedures, otherwise you might be held liable for illegal eviction. Therefore refrain from any self-help measures such as changing hte locks, cutting off the utilitues, etc.

You didn't give much by way of specifics, just know that your first step is to give your tenant notice to vacate the premises; how much varies on the reason for the eviction. For more specific state information here is a link to a site that will be of help (it's for Fairfax County but the process is the same statewide):

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.