How should I present medical bills to a family member who is responsible for an injury that my child incurred at their residence?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends. If your child was injured due to a hazard known by the owner of the residence and you nor your child was notified of the hazard, then you need to indicate that this was an injury caused by a dangerous condition at this person's home and you would like this person to pay those bills. However, if this was something which the owner would not have known about it, then the owner is not responsible for the bill and you should not present the bill to the residence's owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.