How should I go about making sure we don’t get evicted?

We are behind on rent about $300. We made a payment on it yesterday. We were informed we had until the 1st of next month to pay the balance. Today we received a notice on our door stating that we had 7 days to either pay the rent or vacate the apartment. When I went in to ask our landlord why we no longer had until the 1st, she told me that we still had until then but she needed to post it to have it on file in case we didn’t pay.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are receiving conflicting answers as to when you have to make up the arrears on the amount owed on your late rent, you need to send a written letter to the landlord confirming that you have until the first of next month to make up the arrears regardless of the recent notice to pay or quit that was recently served upon you and that the notice was done simply as a pre-caution if you were unable to make the agreed upon late payment. Keep a copy of the letter for future need.

To make sure that you do not get evicted by your landlord over the past due amounts owed for the rental, you need to get the payment owed to the landlord by the agreed upon due date.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.