How often can my Dutch boyfriend legally visit me here in the US on a visa waiver?

My boyfriend lives in Holland and we are doing what we can to make this long distance relationship a good one. His current employer agreed to let him have off of work for 3 months at a time to come visit me (visa waiver). During the time that he is here visiting, he will still be working remotely and will already have a return ticket back to Holland. We have heard so many horror stories about people being denied entry into the US because of frequent visitations. We even heard suggestions of refraining from telling the port of entry officers that he’s visiting his girlfriend. Is that necessary?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What's frequent in your case?  You are stating that he will be coming for 3 months and he is eligible to do that.  What you have not said is how long ago he was last here and how often he intends to return after this 3 month long visit.  It is true that it becomes suspicious after frequent long stays in the US that one claims at the port of entry to just be visiting.  Therefore, it will be within the discretion of the immigration officer at the port of entry whether or not to admit him.  I would refrain from outright lying to the officer as to the purpose of the visit but I would not give away too much information unless specifically asked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.