How much trouble is there if your unlicensed 15 year old gets into an accident?

A 15 year old entered the road and hit my front bumper. No injuries. Police were called. Exchanged insurance information. However, her mother said they would pay for the damages, instead of their insurance company. I’ve received 1 call for information on make/model. I went and received 3 estimates. Should I send them the estimates or the insurance company?

Asked on September 8, 2016 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The parents' insurance company might deny your claim because the unlicensed 15-year-old was an unauthorized driver not on the parents' insurance policy.
If that happens, your only recourse would be to sue the parents for negligence in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the property damage (cost of repairs) to your vehicle.
If you win the case, you can also recover court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.