how much time can a person get for tampering with government records/documents

My common law husband has the charge of tampering with government
documents he was speeding and got pulled over and in his car was a fake
social. Since he is not from here he would use it for jobs, would it be
possible to keep him here in the U.S and if so what would I have to do I
was born here he also has a 5 month old baby.

Asked on May 12, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Much depends on your husband's criminal history and how the state charges your case.  Depending on those two main factors, he could be looking at 180 days to twenty years in prison.  If he does not have a criminal history, then he could potential get some type of probation (deferred or regular).  The criminal justice system will decide his sentence.  However, whether he stays in the country or not will depend on immigration... not the judge for the criminal courts.
Your husband really needs to consult with a criminal attorney and an immigration attorney because the issues overlap. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.