how much prisin time do you get for one felony count child abuse and nelegect and one count of assault

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The Tennesse law governing this would be Section 39-15-401.  Depending on the age of the child it can be treated as a Felony (Class D) - this includes a possible sentence of 2 to 12 years, with a maximum fine of $5,000; or this can be treated as a Felony (Class E) - this includes a possible sentence of 1 to 6 years, with a maximum fine of $3,000; or this can be treated as a Misdemeanor (Class A) - this includes a possible sentence of 11 months and 29 days, with a maximum fine of $2,500.

Here's a link to the statute:

As for the assault you didn't specify what kind of assault it was - aggravated, domestic, child, aggravated on a child, etc.  Without more specifics I can't say what the penalty will be other than if it was the sexual assault of a child or the aggravated sexual assault of a child, than it is treated as a felony and anyone convicted is subject to prison time. 

I think you'll agree that anyone guilty of this kind of demented behavior deserves everything that they get. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.