How much notice do I need to give renters to move when I am selling the house. There is no time on the rental agreement.

I rent to my grandfather but he has stopped paying rent and refuses to do so. His son has taken control of his money and refuses to pay. I own the home and would like to sell it but can’t do so until they move as the place is fillthy and they won’t allow a realestate agent or potential buyers i.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Utah


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like your best approach might be to follow the same step-by-step eviction procedure you'd have to use if you had a stranger for a tenant.  I'd advise you to have an attorney handle this for you. The basic reason is that the law in most states makes eviction difficult at best, and nearly impossible if you don't know what you're doing.  Here, dealing with your family, there's even more reason to be careful.

To give you reliable advice, your lawyer will need all of the facts, including (if not especially) the difficult, embarrassing ones.  One place to find the attorney you need is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.