How much is my school allowed to charge me for a parking violation?

The university of Toledo charges 125 per

semester for parking passes, which is an outrageous amount to charge broke college kids for the luxury of never finding parking. They recently issued me a $50 fine for not registering. Is there any sort of regulation regarding their conduct when it comes to this? Can they make aribitrary rules accompanied by arbitrary numbers attached to these fines? Could they charge me $1000 if they wanted?

Asked on September 17, 2018 under General Practice, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Actually, your school can charge what it chooses for parking; there are no limits. That having been said, they must post the amounts charged in some way (e.g. on a sign, online, etc.). The fact is that parking on school property is not a right. If you do not want to pay what it charges then you can park elsewhere or take public transportation, etc. to school. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no limit on what they charge for parking passes or for a failure to register the vehicle. The amounts need to be listed, posted (e.g. online) or otherwise available in advance, before you are charged, but that's the only limitation; otherwise, they have discretion in this area. Remember: there is no right to park; the institution providing parking has the right to charge whatever it likes, and anyone who does not want to pay that amount can simply decline to park (e.g. not have a car; park offsite; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.