How much is it to get a divorce?

My husband and I have been separated for close to 2 years, and in that time he hasn’t contacted or provided any financial support.

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It varies  based on the complexity of the case and even in what state you file.If money is an issue there are agencies/groups that provide free legal assistance to qualifying individuals. Legal Aid is one. You can also check to see if there is a law school in the area where you live; they run free/low cost clinics that handle these cases. Additionally, you can contact your county/city bar association to see if it has a list of lawyers who will take your case for free or at least for a reduced fee based on your circumstances. Further, you can check for women's support groups online and see if one can provide a list of lawyers who can be of help to you. Finally, you can contact the Department of Social Services in your area to see if it can refer you to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.