How much does it cost initially for a contested divorce?

Who is responsible for paying both lawyer fees? Things that will be contested will be: Who will assume sole legal and physical custody of the children, who will assume responsibility of all the bills, the amounts of alimony and child support. I do not want the divorce but my husband does. I have 4 children, 2 with my husband and 2 from a previous relationship in which he wants visitation rights of all 4. I want sole legal and physical custody of all children, since he wants the divorce and he make twice the amount that I do I feel that he should take responsibility of all debt that was assumed during the course of the marriage, Since I only make $3,600 a month before taxes and before dental.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The costs of a marital dissolution are typically set by how contested the proceeding is. If the parties can agree to the issues then the cost is in the neighborhood of $3,500 to $4,000 based upon the issues you have listed.

If the proceeding becomes heated, then the sky is the limit on how much in attorney's fees will arise. Given what you have written about the court could order that your spouse pay a portion of your attorney's fees in the contest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.