If I would like to file I-130 and I-485 together, how many letters I need from friends and family?

Can it be employers and co-workers? Does it have to be a certain format? How long and what should it contain?

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Immigration Law, Tennessee


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to provide any letters from anyone.  You will need to gather documentation for the interview to prove that your marriage is bona fide.  Usually, letters are not required and other evidence is sufficient (bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, lease agreement, etc) but if you have few or none of those, then you will need to get affidavits from people who know both of you and know of your relationship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.