How long will it take to bring my fiance to America? What’s the fastest method?

I am a US citizen. My fiance is currently studying in the United Kingdom,
where she is a citizen in 20 months I’d like her to be able to join me in
America, and start working immediately. She is capable of flying to
America during breaks between now and then, and I can fly to see her.
Would it involve less paperwork and associated risks of something being
delayed too long or missed entirely to fly to the UK to marry her, and
then return to America? Can I file forms, such as the I-129 form now I
heard that it can be a 12 month wait or longer, or do I have to wait
until she would be able to move to the US once the forms are completed?

Asked on October 5, 2017 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

YOu can file the fiancee visa petition now and as it takes about 9-12 months before its issuance, that should give you time that you need.  Also, you can then extend the time of her actual entry to the US after being granted a visa, you can stretch out the time it takes to get the visa if you need that, and you can also have her enter the US and start the process of getting her green card here and then fly back to UK to get the citizenship when that comes up.  Any of the options would probably work, depending on your timetable.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.