How long will it take to finalize a contested divorce after being apart for 2 1/2 years?

I’ve been married for 9 years and have filed for divorce 2 months ago. My soon to be ex and I have lived separatelyfor 2 /12 years. She bought a home, car with her mother on the title, and we also have our home and a timeshare in another state. I didn’t want any interest in her property she purchased or any other items. She is still on this mortgage and has stop paying on it when she moved out to pay on her new home. Is she still responsible for 1/2 of the mortgage? Also, she wrecked the family car and brought a new one and return the damaged vehicle to me. Can I have her pay the repair costs?

Asked on March 16, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an attorney?  Let me state that I think that it may become very costly for you if do not at least consult with one here.  Your have a LOT of leverage here s the property she bought may be considered marital property (at least anything purchased up until 2 months ago) and yes, she is responsible for the marital assets and the debt involved with them as well.  Her income is considered marital income until such time as a formal agreement is signed or you filed for divorce.  The court needs some date certain to go by and it has to be a formal date not an informal date (such as a move out date).  In any even, get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.