How long does one have to file an assault charge after the incident?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In the criminal arena one who has been assaulted contacts law enforcement and makes a crime report to a police officer. The police officer then submits the report to the district attorney's office who decides if it will file criminal charges or not.

Given what you have written about, you may want to consult with a personal injury attorney to explore the civil arena for the assault that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.