How long does DUI/DWI’s stay on your record in MI? I live in NC now and want to get my drivers license. What do I need to do?

I had 3 before 2002 of which I did 6 mths jail time for the last DUI. I did do treatment but do not have the paperwork still. I got a DWI ax in 2007 or so and was denied to get it back due to terminology in my letters of reference.

Asked on June 6, 2009 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

DUI's stay on your record forever.  However, in Michigan, they will count as prior offenses for either 7 or 10 years; this is known as the "look back period".  If you have two convictions within 7 years then your license will be revoked for a period of one year; if you have two or more within 10 years, then your license will be revoked for a period of five years. 

As for getting your license in North Carolina, if you don't currently have a valid license from Michigan as a result of a DUI, then they will not issue one to you.  Even then, under North Carolina law, you will have to wait for 1 year after a license revocation or suspension is lifted before getting a new license issued.  Also, North Carolina will to Michigan's look back period; if you have repeated DUI's within the applicable time frame you can also be denied on that basis as well.

This is something that is best handled by a DUI attorrney in your area.  Consult with him about when, or if, you will be elible for a North Carolina license.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.