How long does a legal ad have to be in the paper to locate a spouse before divorce proceedings can be finalized?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The required time for service by publication (running the notice in the legal notices section of the newspaper when someone's whereabouts are unknown) varies from state to state.  Your court clerk can tell you how long the notice has to run in your state for it to be effective service by publication.  Service by publication is effective even if the other party never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.