If you are stopped for DUI, how long do they have before they charge you with a crime?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With exceptions the statute of limitations pertaining to DUI/DWI in Minnesota is three years. In some circumstances the statute of limitations may be 'tolled' (delayed, prolonged, stopped from running), typically for a determinate length of time.  Certain limited circumstances can give rise to there being no statute of limitations.  In my legal work as a criminal defense attorney it is not uncommon for me to confer privately with a person who is concerned, worried, he/she may possibly be charged with some criminal offense or offenses.  This is known as 'pre-charge' legal assistance or representation. In the event that you or a loved one are worried or concerned about a possible criminal charge, I urge you immediately to confer with a criminal defense attorney.  I recommend that you make several phone calls in choosing an attorney, because it is critically important that you feel a sense of great safety and trust in the attorney you choose to help you. Based upon my professional experience, the sooner a client contacts me and confers with me, the more effectively I can assist the client.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.