how long do I have to protest a will in Louisiana?

Can a parent leave a child out of his will, when the child was
disabled at age 18, and married?

Asked on April 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What you are referring to here is a Will "contest". However, you should know that it is legal for a parent to disinherit an adult child, even one who is disabled and/or married. That having been said, if your birth was unknown by your parent at the time that they made their Will or specific language of disinheritance was not used in the Will, then you may have a claim, depending on specific state law. At this point, you should consult directly with a local lawyer who can review the details of your situation and best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.