How long do employees have to wait to be paid wages earned?

Company listed employees under wrong job title to pay is less. When company got audited they were informed to change title giving us a raise. Plus they had to back date pay grade to hiring date. They gave us the raise immediately but its been over a month and management still cannot tell us when we will get our lump sum. What are our rights? If we owed them money they would want it back immediately?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming there is some written agreement setting forth when the employees are to get over due wages the written agreement should set forth when the employees are to receive such.

I suggest that if you have further questions you get a copy of the settlement agreement for payment and/or have a meeting with your company's human resources department on the subject.

The problem I see is that if your company does not have the miney to make the payments presently, then the employees will have to wait. Another option is to consult with a labor attorney or your local representative at the nearest department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.