How long can you be suspended from work?

Investigation is going on because an employee was disrespectful towards me and I told her to clock out and go home. However, they stated I couldn’t do


Asked on September 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no law that sets timeframe for which an employee can be suspended.  The fact is that in an "at will" work setting, a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit or deems appropriate. This is true so long as no form of legally actionable discrimination plays a factor in their treatment. Also, this action is not allowed if it breaches the terms of an employment contract or union/collective bargaining agreement. That having been said, if this suspensions lasts indefinitely, you may be eligible to collect unemployment benefits based on "constructive termination". You can ask your state department of labor for more information on this.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can be suspended for as long as the employer likes, unless you have a written employment contract (including a union or collective bargaining agreement) to the contrary. In the absence of a written contract, you are an employee at will and may be terminated--or anything "less than" terminated, such as suspended (for any length of time)--at any time, for any reason, at the employer's sole option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.