How long can the state hold my driver’s license for a minor accident without a judgement against me?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Accident Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming your driver's license was current and you had the required insurance in place for the car, you should be able to have the return of your driving privileges immediately. From what you have written about, if your driver's license is being held by the DMV I suspect that you did not have insurance in place for the vehicle when the accident happened. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney further in your community. One can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.